Clyde Peeling's Reptileland in central Pennsylvania has been on our bucket list for some time now, and with the weather getting warmer, we headed out for our visit over spring break.
The main motivation for the visit was wanting to see full grown Komodo Dragons. We had seen some juvenile ones at the Smithsonian National Zoo recently, but we were really hoping to see an adult. The Komodo dragon is one of our favorite animals, and the inspiration for these pins and stickers.
Did you know Komodo dragons:
- Are the largest lizard and member of the monitor family, native to Indonesia. Can grow up to 10 feet long.
- Are the only remaining lizard in the world that is an apex predator
- Hunt by implanting a venomous tooth, and retrieving it after infection
- Commonly prey on deer, goats, horses and water buffalo
- Can weigh over 150 lbs and live up to 30 years
Not only did we see this amazing Komodo dragon, we also got to see an Axolotl eating a cricket (My personal favorite part of the trip)!
Other highlights include the animatronic dinosaurs
The albino alligator
A host of snakes and other reptiles,
Including a very active chameleon.
Parakeet landing was probably the best surprise, where we got to actually feed some extremely friendly parakeets
Even though Reptileland is smaller than the major zoos and aquariums we frequently visit, it is well worth a trip. The entire place was exquisitely maintained, and all the amazing animals looked really happy. They also offer excellent educational programs online and in person. It is a real gem, and I’m thrilled we went.
There’s no place like Earth!™